Chidambaran G. Iyer
Email:cgiyer[at]cds dot ac dot in/ chidambaran[at]cds dot edu
Areas of specialisation: Innovation and Technology; Industry and Trade
- Doctor of Philosophy, (2007), Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- B.Tech in Chemical Engineering, (1994-1998), Dr. BabasahebAmbedkar Technological University, Lonere, Maharashtra, India.
- Senior Fellow, Pahle India Foundation, New Delhi
- Associate Professor, PES University, Bangalore.
- Associate Professor, Alliance School of Business, Alliance University, Bangalore.
- Assistant Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore.
- Project Fellow, A Computable General Equilibrium Model for the Indian Economy, Planning Commission Modeling Project, IGIDR, Mumbai.
- Analyst – Industry Research, Dun & Bradstreet Information Services India Pvt. Limited (Mumbai)
- Senior Research Analyst – Frost & Sullivan India Pvt. Limited (Chennai)
- Engineer, Reliance Life Sciences
- Engineer, Reliance Industries
- Engineer, Reliance Silicones (India) Limited
- Nominated by the Government of India, to attend the Second Meeting of the Bank of Sweden Prize Winners in Economics, held at Lindau, Germany from August 16- August 19, 2006.
Iyer, C.G. 2018. ‘Understanding Impact of Technology Interventions in Indian Engineering Education ‘. Munich Social Science Review, New Series, Volume 1, (Verlag Holler, ISSN 0170-2521).
Iyer C.G. 2017. ‘Use of Technology in providing Quality Engineering Education: Exploring the Indian Experience’. Economic and Political Weekly, LII (46), 99-107.
Iyer C.G. 2016. ‘Impact of entrepreneur on the sectoralsystemof innovation: Case study of the Indian crude oil refining industry’.Technological Forecasting and Social Change (Elsevier), 102, 102-111. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2015.02.019.
Iyer C.G. 2014. ‘Harnessing Satellite Technology for Education Development: Case Studies from India’.Innovation and Development (Routledge), 4(1), 129-143.
Iyer C.G. 2013. ‘Urbanization in India and productivity of manufacturing industries: An empirical study’.Indian Economic Review (Journal of Delhi School of Economics), 48(2), 297-322.
Iyer C.G. 2012. ‘Foreign firms, Indian multinationals and spillovers in the Indian pharmaceutical industry’.Indian Growth and Development Review (Journal of ISI-Delhi, published by Emerald), 5(2), 131-150.
Pani, N. and Iyer C. G. 2012. ‘National Strategies and Local Realities: The GreenfieldApproach and the MGNREGS in Karnataka’, India Review (Taylor and Francis), 11(1), 1-22.
Iyer C.G. 2012. ‘Wage Spillovers in Indian Manufacturing’.The Singapore Economic Review (World Scientific), 57(1), 1250006, 19 pages, doi: 10.1142/S0217590812500063.
Iyer C.G. 2011. ‘Effect of reforms on the elasticity of substitution and returns to scale in the Indian chemical industry’.Indian Journal of Industrial Relations: A Review of Economic & Social Development, Vol. 47(1), 36-42.
Iyer C.G. 2009. ‘Spillovers in Indian Manufacturing Industry: Search through an Industrial Survey’.Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 44 (46), 69-74.
Iyer C.G. 2009. ‘Foreign Firms and Inter-industry Spillovers in Indian Manufacturing: Evidence from 1989 to 2004’.Margin-The Journal of Applied Economic Research(Journal of NCAER, published by Sage), 2009, 3(3), 297–317.
Iyer C.G. 2009. ‘Indian multinationals, foreign multinationals and domestic firms’.Journal of Economic Policy Reform(Taylor and Francis), 2009, 12(3), 243-47.
Chidambaran G. Iyer. 2020. ‘Industrialization for Jobs and Growth: A case study of Cellular Mobile phone manufacturers in India’, paper written for the Ford Foundation-IGIDR project ‘Industrialization for Jobs and Growth’.
Mani, S. and Chidambaran G. Iyer. 2020. The saga of Indigenous R&D in the high technology industry in India: Case of India’s semi high-speed train-Train 18, 01/May/20, www.TheIndiaForum.in. Available at https://www.theindiaforum.in/article/train-18-and.
Badri Narayanan, G., Rahul Sen, ChidambaranIyer, Sangeeta Khorana and Sadhana Srivastava. 2020. ‘A quantitative assessment of economic impact of trade wars and the ‘Make in India’ program’, ARTNeT Working Paper Series No. 203, Bangkok: ESCAP.
Chidambaran G. Iyer. 2020. ‘Reforming 8 Critical Sectors’ in ‘The Stimulus Package in Five Instalments: Does it make the economy more self-reliant?’ Mani, S. (Ed.), Commentary on India’s Economy and Society Series – 15, Centre for Development Studies, Thiruvananthapuram, India.
Byahut R., Dutta S., Iyer, C.G., and Nataraj M. 2020. ‘World Development Report 2020: Trading for Development in the age of Global Value Chains’, Commentary on India’s Economy and Society Series – 11, Centre for Development Studies, Thiruvananthapuram, India.
Chidambaran G. Iyer. 2019. ‘In Defence of Pragmatic Protection’. PIF/2019/TIDE/DP/14, January 2019. Pahle India Foundation, New Delhi.
Chidambaran G. Iyer and Kannan Kumar. 2019. ‘Impact of FDI in Urban Mobility: Some insights from Delhi Metro’.PIF/2019/TIDE/DP/15, March 2019. Pahle India Foundation, New Delhi.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, Kannan Kumar, and ShagunKhurana. 2019. ‘Reforms required to spur investment in Mobility’. Study for TERI.
VV Binoy, Chidambaran G Iyer, L M Patnaik, and Baldev Raj (Eds.). 2016. ‘Science, Technology and Indian Society: An Anthology of Perspectives’, R38, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bengaluru
Chidambaran G. Iyer. 2014. ‘Bengaluru Urban District Human Development Report, 2014’, Bengaluru Urban District ZillaPanchayat and Planning, Programme Monitoring and Statistics Department, Government of Karnataka.
Pani and Chidambaran G. Iyer. 2013. ‘Evaluation of the Processes in the Implementation of Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission in Karnataka’, Karnataka Evaluation Authority Report, Government of Karnataka.
Pani and Chidambaran G. Iyer. 2011. ‘Evaluation of the Impact of Processes in the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in Karnataka’. Government of Karnataka.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘Phased manufacturing policy that is hardly smart’, The Hindu, 15 October 2020.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘Make in India, for the world’, The Financial Express, 3 April 2019.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘Can India still catch the R&D bus?’, rediff.com, 29 January 2019.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘Manufacturing may not generate jobs at the expected rate’, rediff.com, 24 December 2018.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘India in the age of protectionism: Panagariya’s caution may not be correct’, The Financial Express, 17 November 2018.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘Boosting exports key to solving India’s economic woes’, rediff.com, 30 October 2018.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘Policy pointers for a robust economy’, Deccan Herald, 12 September 2018
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘The importance of being at the centre’, Governance now, 9(13), 15 August 2018.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘Petrol and Diesel under GST’, The Financial Express, 28 June 2018.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘How can Common Service Centres deliver’, The Financial Express, 6 June 2018.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘How Digital India is Manufacturing Jobs’, The Financial Express, 14 May 2018.
Chidambaran G. Iyer, ‘Creating a Digital Divide’, The Financial Express, 30 March 2018.
- Policies on Mobile Manufacturing – Lessons for India from different country experiences
- Impact of policies on Mobile Manufacturing in India – From the lens of industrial policy
- Genetic technology and raw silk production
- Analyzing Digital Payment Systems in India through the lens of Innovation Systems framework
- Metro, Electric Vehicles, Hydrogen Fuel Cell and Mobility
- AE 304 – Topics in Applied Microeconomics
- AE 204 – Economics of Technology and Innovation
- AE202 – Industrial Organisation