Beena P L
Areas of specialisation: Industrial Economics, Indian Corporate Sector , FDI, M&As and Competition Policy, Globalisation and Contempory Issues of Indian Economy, Kerala Economy
- Ph.D. in Economics, Centre For Economic Studies and Planning, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, (1993-1998).
- M.Phil in Applied Economics, Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum (affiliated to Jawaharlal Nehru University), (1989-1991).
- M.A in Economics (Applied), Dr. John Mathai Centre, Calicut University, India (1986-1988).
- B.Sc. in Mathematics, Calicut University, Kerala (1983-86).
- CDS: Associate Professor (since 2014, Assistant Professor (2001-2014)
- National Council for Applied Economic Research, New Delhi : Consultant (July 2001- Feb 2002).
- Research and Information System for Developing Countries, New Delhi: consultant (1999-2001).
- Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum Kerala: Pos-D doctoral Fellow, Feb 1999-Aug 1999.
- National Council for Applied Economic Research, New Delhi: Consultant (1992-1995).
- Visiting Fellow, CESP, JNU during 17 March 2017 to 31 March 2017
- ICSSR General Fellow, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development, New Delhi (25 January, 2010 to 12 January 2012).
- Participant of Cambridge Advanced Programme on Rethinking Development Economics (Trinity Hall, Cambridge, 3-18 July, 2003).
- Visiting Fellow at Queen Elizabeth House (C R Parekh/Nirman South Asian Visiting Fellow) International Development Centre, Oxford, UK (15 April to 22 June, 2002).
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Centre for Development Studies, (February 1999-August 1999).
Book publications: (2)
PL Beena (2018;2104) MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS: India under Globalisation, Routledge, South Asia Edition, New Delhi, London, New York, 292 pages, Hardbound: Reprint, ISBN 978-1-138-34949-0.
Shukla S S, Rao V V P, Madhavachari R and Beena P L (1993) Indian Shipping Industry: Retrospect & Prospect, New Delhi, NCAER, ISBN 81-85877-04-1.
Journal Articles (12)
PL Beena (Forthcoming) IPR Regime and Antitrust Implications of Mergers and Acquisitions: Evidence from the Indian Corporate sector, Antitrust Bulletin, Accepted
PL Beena (RR) Outward FDI and Cross-Border M&As: Evidence from Indian Corporate Sector, EPW, ISSN 0012:9976.
PL Beena (2018) Trends and Pattern of International trade from Kerala State, KASARA (Journal of Humanities), Issue No. 1, Volume 10, June – December 2018. ISSN, 2320-2580.
PL Beena (2016) “Globalisation, Corporate Strategies and Performance of Indian Industries: Some Grey Areas that Call for Regulatory Attention”, Journal of Social Discourse, Vol.3, No.1, March 2016, KERENG/2013/56743.
P L Beena (2011) ‘Economic Liberalisation and Financing Pattern of Acquiring Firms Abroad’, Transnational Corporation Review Journal, Vol 20, June 30, UNCTAD, ISSN: 1918-6444.
P L Beena & Hrushikesh Mallick (2011) ‘Exchange Rate and Export Behaviour of Indian Textiles and Clothing Sector: An Enquiry for Major Destination Countries’, International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, 2011, Inderscience Publishers, ISSN: 1752-0479.
P L Beena (2008) ‘Trends and Perspectives on Corporate Mergers in Contemporary India’, Economic and Political Weekly, Review of Industry and Management, Vol XLIII, No.39, September 27, pp.48-56, Bombay, ISSN 0012:9976.
K N Harilal & PL Beena (2005) ‘Reining in Rules of Origin Based Protectionism: A Critique of WTO initiatives’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 40, No. 51, December 17-25, Bombay, ISSN 0012:9976.
P L Beena (2000) ‘Role of Mergers in Indian Private Corporate Sector’, Journal of Scientific & Industrial Research, Special Issue on Management of Knowledge and Intangibles for Innovation“, August-Sept, NISCOM, New Delhi, ISSN: 0022-4456.
Sanjib Pohit, Rajesh Chaddha, P L Beena, and N Sangeeta (2001) ‘Estimation of Substitution Parameter in Indian Industries: A Disaggregated Approach’, Indian Economic Journal, Vol.48, No.2, New Delhi, ISSN: 0019-4662.
PL Beena (1995) ‘Productivity Trends in the Public and Private Sector of Kerala State Enterprises’, Journal of Management Development, Vol.8, No.1, pp.75-102, New Delhi, ISSN: 0970-6623.
PL Beena (1995) ‘Trends in Capacity Utilisation- A Comparative Study between State Public Sector and Private Sector Manufacturing Enterprises in Kerala’, ANVESAK, Vol.25, No:2,1995, Ahmedabad.
Chapters in Books (5)
PL Beena, Pradeesh Kumar and George Paily (2020) ‘Structure, Direction and Export Contribution of Kerala State: With Special Reference to Cochin Special Economic Zone ‘,in Sunil Mani (ed) Kerala and the World Economy, Chapter 13, pp.355-390, Centre for Development Studies,ISBN:978-81-948195-3-0
P.L.Beena (2010) ‘Limits to Universal Trade Liberalisation: Experience of South Asia in Textiles and Clothing Sector’ in Ashwini Deshpande (ed), Handbook of Globalisation and Development, Chapter 4, pp. 46-63,Oxford University Press, Second edn. 2010, ISBN: 9780198069102.
P.L.Beena (2007) ‘Limits to Universal Trade Liberalisation: Experience of South Asia in Textiles and Clothing Sector’ in Ashwini Deshpande (ed), Handbook of Globalisation and Development, Chapter 4, pp. 46-63,Oxford University Press, First edn. 2007, ISBN: 019569092-3.
P.L. Beena, Laveesh Bhandari, Sumon Bhaumik, Subir Gokarn (2004), ‘Foreign Direct Investment in India’, in Saul Estrin and Klaus Meyer (eds), Investment Strategies in Emerging Markets, Chapter 5, pp.125-146, Edward Elgar, UK, ISBN: 1-84376-781-3.
P.L. Beena, Subir Gokarn and Anjali Tandon (2004), ‘Indian Case Studies’, in Saul Estrin and Klaus Meyer (eds), Investment Strategies in Emerging Markets, Chapter 6, pp.147-173, Edward Elgar, UK, ISBN: 1-.84376-781-3.
PL Beena, (2001) ‘Intangibles and Finance: ‘Motives and consequences of Mergers in Indian Corporate Sector’ in Banerjee P & Richter F.J (eds), Intangibles in Competition and Cooperation: Euro-Asian Perspectives, Chapter 3, pp.53-73, Palgrave, London and New York, ISBN: 0-333-96019-X.
Other Publications: (10)
PL Beena (2018) Outward FDI and Cross-border M&As by Indian firms: A Host Country -Level Analysis, WP No.479, CDS, Trivandrum.
P L Beena (2011) ‘Economic Liberalisation and Financing Pattern: With a Focus on Acquiring Firms Abroad’, CDS Working Paper, No.440, January.
P L Beena and Hrushikesh Mallick (2010) ‘Exchange Rate and Export Behaviour of Indian Textiles and Clothing Sector: An Enquiry for Major Destination Countries’, CDS Working Paper 425, March.
P L Beena (2006) ‘Limits to Universal Trade Liberalisation: The Contemporary Scenario for Textiles & Clothing Sector in South Asia’, CDS Working Paper , March.
P L Beena (2004) ‘Towards Understanding the Merger-Wave in the Indian Corporate Sector: A Comparative Perspective’, CDS Working Paper, January.
K N Harilal and P.L.Beena (2003) ‘The WTO Agreement on Rules of Origin: Implications for South Asia’, CDS Working Paper, December.
PL Beena, Subir Gokarn, Anjali Tandon, (2002) “Entry Strategies in Emerging Markets: A Case Study of ABN Amro India” DRC working paper No 5, CNEM, London Business School, UK.
PL Beena, Sumon K Bhaumik, Laveesh Bhandari, Subir Gokarn, (2002) “Survey of FDI in India”, DRC Working Paper No 6, CNEM, London Business School, UK.
PL Beena, (2000) “An Analysis of Mergers in the Private Corporate Sector in India” Working Paper No.301,Centre For Development Studies, Trivandrum.
Sanjib Pohit, Rajesh Chaddha, PL Beena, and N.Sangeeta (1996) “Estimation of Substitution Parameter in Indian Industries: A Disaggregated Approach” Working Paper No: 62, NCAER, New Delhi.
Beena PL (2020) “What Atma-Nirbar Bharat means for the Indian Industry” in “Stimulus Package in five Installments: Does it make the economy more Self –Reliant”, Commentary on India’s economy and society, No.15, 2020.
Beena PL (2019) “Industry and External Sector”, in “Dimensions of Indian Economy: As seen through the economic survey 2018-19 and the Union Budget 2019-20”, Commentary on India’s economy and society, No.9, August 2019.
Beena PL (2019) “India’s recent inward FDI: An assessment” by Chalapathi Rao and Biswajit Dhar, ISID in “Emerging markets journal”, Vol 9, No.1, http://emaj.pitt.edu/ , August 5.
Beena PL (2018) “Concerns on MSMEs, FDI and Service Sector”, in “Dimensions of India’s Economy: As seen through the economic survey 2017-18” ,Commentary on India’s economy and society, March 2018.
PL Beena (2003) Corporate Restructuring through M&As, Passline (Kochi-based business bimonthly), 15-31 January 2003.
PL Beena (2001) An Overview of the Mergers and Acquisitions during the post Liberalisation Era, Business Digest, Vol.XVI, Issue 16, August 16-31, 2001.
PL Beena (2000) Contributed summary of the paper on “Competition Policy, Developing Countries and the WTO by Bernard Hoekman (World Bank) and Peter Holmes (Sussex University) for RIS Digest, June 2000, New Delhi.
- Corporate mergers and antitrust Implications
- FDI, CBM&As and developmental implications
- IPR Institutions, Innovation activities and Indian industries
- WTO, Regional Integration and South Asia; T&C sector
- Trade patterns, SEZs and industrialization of Kerala economy.
- Growth Dynamics of Handloom sector in Kerala.
- MSMEs and Developmental Implications.
- Indian Economic Development, MA 1st year
- Industrial Economics (MA second year)
- Debates on Indian Industrialization (M.Phil)