In tune with its professed goal of providing necessary IT services to the faculty and students of the Centre, the Computing wing of the Centre is equipped with the necessary organizational and computing resources.
IT infrastructure in CDS Campus
• Seven Juniper 3300 switches with 10 Gigabits uplink ports installed in four buildings of the campus.
• Fiber network connection from computer centre to other buildings.
• Two HP proliant DL 180 Gen-9 servers for Mail and Library applications.
• 51 HP desktops and 50 HCL desktops for staffs and student use.
• Cisco and D-link Wi-Fi Access points across the campus to provide internet facility.
• 100 Mbps NKN(National Knowledge Network ) connectivity for internet facility in the campus.
(a) Computer Lab
Computer lab houses 15 PCs with Windows XP/Windows 8.1, and other essential software including statistical packages like STATA and E-Views. These lab has been used for computer based training programmes and workshops regularly.
(b) Students Bay and PhD Bay
Students bay, computation environment, exclusively meant for MA and MPhil students. This centre contains 6 PCs and two printers. PhD Bay is equipped with two computer and a printer and this facility is exclusively for PhD students. Students Bay and PhD Bay are open for students throughout the day.
13 PCs have been installed in different locations of the CDS library. These PCs are accessible to all the library users.
(d) Wi-Fi Facility
CDS campus is fully WI-Fi enabled. All the buildings in the campus are equipped with Wi-Fi facility. Wi-Fi facility is also available in the guest house and the hostels for students.
Other major Services: Apart from the above mentioned service locations, PCs have been provided to all faculty members and officers of the various administrative and finance sections of the Centre.
Besides managing/optimizing/distributing the centre’s computing resources the IT-unit provides the following services:
- Programming and software management support to the faculty, staff and students
- Periodic computer familiarisation programmes for fresh batches of students
- Periodic training programme for the faculty members based on assessment of felt needs
- Round the clock Net access to the faculty members (from their office) and students
- E-mail service for all the members of the CDS community- with web-based and POP access.
- Facility to host web sites for faculty members
- Facility to store backup files on the Intranet that helps a user access the resources from any workstation.